Since the Quest 2 launched, folks have balked at being compelled to have a Facebook account to entry the brand new headset or complained when a Facebook ban eliminated their entry to video games they owned. Finally, you possibly can take away your Facebook account from the Quest 2, and even in case you select to maintain it linked, your Meta account might be your actual account shifting ahead.
Switching to a Meta account is fairly easy, however there are a few attainable hitches you would run into that will result in a manufacturing unit reset. Here’s easy methods to take away your Facebook account from the Quest 2 and change to a Meta account.
Start by updating your headset
Before you proceed with the steps under, you will must replace the Meta OS in order that it is appropriate with the brand new accounts. The firm warns that you probably have an “out-of-date” Quest, “you may need to factory reset your headset.”
To test in case your Quest 2 wants an replace, open Quick Settings on the left aspect of the Toolbar displaying the time, energy stage, and wi-fi image. Select Settings within the top-right of this menu, then System within the top-left. In the left sidebar, scroll down till you discover Software Update. You’ll both see that you’ve the newest model or might be prompted to obtain it.
Once you see a pop-up that the newest replace has efficiently downloaded, maintain down the Quest 2 energy button and Restart the gadget. You’ll see the brand new Quest 2 menu, and you might even see a immediate warning you that you just would possibly must manufacturing unit reset your gadget (as we did). Ignore this for now, and take away your headset.
These subsequent steps will be accomplished on both your browser or the Meta Quest (previously Oculus) app. We selected the browser for ease of use, however the alternative is yours, and the steps do not change.
1. Log into your Facebook account.
2. You’ll see a immediate for Software replace required. We noticed this immediate even after updating our headset, so we merely ignored the warning and clicked Continue.
3. Choose whether or not you need to Continue with out Facebook or Set up with Facebook. The former permits you to use an electronic mail as your username and create a brand new password, and the latter lets you proceed signing into your Quest 2 headset with Facebook. We suggest selecting the previous because it ensures you possibly can log in even when your Facebook account is deleted. You can hyperlink Facebook to your account later if you wish to entry social options like Messenger in-headset.
4. If you selected to proceed with out Facebook, create a brand new password. You’ll obtain a 6-digit code on the electronic mail related together with your Facebook account. Input the code and choose Continue.
5. “Finish” establishing your account. Meta will pull your title and birthday out of your outdated Facebook data, so that you needn’t do something.
6. Add your public title to your account. You can select to have a distinct title out of your actual Facebook title, in different phrases.
7. Choose your privateness settings. You will be open to everybody, solely seen to Friends and household so you possibly can management who follows you, or have a Solo account with which nobody can see your exercise, however you possibly can nonetheless comply with others or invite others.
8. Review and ensure your account data, then open www.meta.com/gadget.
9. Put your headset again on. If you efficiently up to date your headset and it was related together with your outdated account, you must see a pop-up window with an 8-digit code. Enter that code, and you will have efficiently logged into your Meta account!
10. Whether or not you used your cell app to arrange, you will be logged out of your account. Reopen the app and log into your account utilizing your new credentials.
Your new Meta account might be very bare-bones when you efficiently create it, and you could resolve that you just need to change your privateness settings. To make adjustments to your Meta account, put in your headset and choose the Profile icon within the Toolbar.
First, you possibly can Edit profile to vary your public title, public bio, and username. You can change the primary two choices everytime you need, however select your username fastidiously, as a result of Meta solely permits you to change it each six months.
Then, choose Edit avatar to create an avatar that’ll seem in Horizon Home when folks take a look at your profile. It would possibly even be what seems in Horizon Worlds, although we’re unsure about that. You can customise your face, physique form, and clothes.
Lastly, you possibly can customise your privateness settings extra particularly than you would earlier than, discovered within the ellipsis menu. You can change what your folks can see by way of your Activity and play historical past, and even take away particular video games out of your seen library in case you don’t need folks to know you actually can be part of them for a recreation of Population: One however simply do not need to.
Re-add your Facebook or Instagram account
We like that you just not want Facebook to play Quest, however you continue to might want to have the ability to message mates on Messenger or have the ability to discover mates extra simply. Once you create a brand new Meta account with out Facebook, it is easy to then add the app after the actual fact.
Go to Quick Settings > Settings to discover a new Meta Accounts Center choice on the underside proper. Click it and choose Profiles > Add accounts to seek out the choice so as to add a Facebook or Instagram account. Then you should merely log in together with your credentials, and you will have entry to those apps once more.
A brand new period for Quest 2 gaming
Anecdotally, we all know of loads of individuals who have been fascinated with shopping for a Quest 2 and having fun with its enormous library of nice Quest 2 video games however have been scared off by the Facebook requirement and the way it made the Quest really feel like a Facebook VR gadget. Even although it is nonetheless Meta-owned, the Quest 2 may discover loads of new followers now that its blatant affiliation with Facebook is gone.
If you are fascinated with shopping for a brand new Quest 2 gadget, you will be prompted to create a Meta account immediately without having a Facebook account in any respect. Unfortunately, Meta hiked the value of the Quest 2 across the similar time it eliminated its Facebook requirement. Our information on the 128GB vs. 256GB Quest 2 will provide help to resolve if it is value upgrading or if you can also make do with much less storage.